Friday, July 1, 2011

No justice for rape survivor

This morning listening to NPR, I learned that Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been released from supervision due to the "crumbling" rape case against him. Apparently the court has come to question the survivor's credibility and are now predicting that the case will be entirely dropped.

Of course this isn't a surprise to me, but it does make me boiling angry. Finally I thought we'd see a high profile public figure held accountable for the sexual assault he committed, but a girl really can't dream that big yet, I guess.

The most infurating part about the whole thing is not the fear that he'll reoffend, which he might, but the crushing weight of the knowledge that this sends such a big message to women everywhere. Don't even try to accuse your attacker. No one will believe you and don't you know it's your fault anyway? I mean, these dipshits are saying that because her story has changed over time (hello! forgetting details is a huge part of PTSD), she can't be telling the truth. Also, she has a criminal past. Apparently that means she deserves to be raped. Wow....

So, pardon me if I seem on edge today. I'm feeling triggered and pissed off and hopeless and I know I'm not the only one.

Blah.

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar reaction when I saw this news on my Yahoo email page. Actually, I just felt sad. Sad, that as a people it's easier for us to shame survivors of sexual violence into a closet of slience, then it is for us to hold people in power accountable. This is the stuff that keeps violence going.

    I worked in Denver at a rape crisis center when the case against Kobe Bryant was happening. The whole experience of that feels so close to what's happening here. There is incredible slander happening to justify dropping the case. No accountablilty for this horrible act. Just the fact that she came forward to say anything knowing the odds against her was brave. And then to be torn apart and have your character challenged is so wrong. Who cares if she has a criminal past! People deserve to feel safe and free from violence all the time, not just when they come from a certain background. Same thing happened with Kobe Bryants case. Maybe they should focus their energy on the perp's roll in all of it?!

    This story leaves me sad. It feels like a huge struggle for justice. I did find this today and felt excited to see it's out there!

    http://www.nomas.org/

    ReplyDelete