Monday, September 26, 2011

Have I changed somehow?

Sort of funny story from this weekend.

My sister and I were celebrating our birthdays together on Saturday. She turned 25 on the 18th and I turn 30 on the 2nd. While she and I were sitting at lunch with our mom, my phone rang. It was my older brother calling so I answered because he never calls. He asks, "You like the Steelers, right?" To which I reply, "well...I'm not a huge sports fan." He then starts complaining about how he doesn't know what to get me for my birthday. Awkward. Not a big deal, though. So, I hand the phone over to my sister so she can maybe tell him what to get me. She tells him I like gauzy scarves- in fall colors. It's true, I do. Later that night the whole fam is sitting in the living room as Molly and I open presents. It comes to Cy's gift for me and I begin to open it when he says, "I told the store clerk that I had no idea what to get a 30 year old lesbian who likes summer scarves in fall colors. She didn't want anything to do with me. I hope you like this." Of course I laughed really hard because he's such a dork. Later, though, it started to kind of get under my skin, what he said. He didn't know what to get a 30 year old lesbian...

The truth is that I'm the same person as I was before. I'm still Abby, his dorky sister for 29 years, 11 months and 23 days now. He's always known before what I like and what will make me happy and what will piss me off. Why does he think I've changed now that my partner is a woman? Yeah, maybe he's just giving me a hard time, but like I always am, I feel kind of whiny about it. It struck a nerve- just like he intended, I'm sure. That's what big brothers are for, I guess- at least Cyrus. I know that about him!

No comments:

Post a Comment